Updated: Nov 14, 2021
Temps are cooling, rain is starting, and that means just one thing: the holidays are coming! Now, more than ever, people are looking forward to the holidays as a welcome distraction from everything going on in the world.
While last year, several popular streets for holiday lights chose not to participate, we have heard rumors that this year's light displays are going to be back - and bigger than ever!
If you're looking for the best Christmas light displays in Cameron Park, El Dorado Hills, Folsom, Fair Oaks, and Citrus Heights - this is your list! Don't forget to check our follow-up post with the best streets in Roseville and Rocklin!
A Fun Christmas Tradition:
Checking out Christmas light displays is one of our favorite easy, free, and fun Christmas traditions. Here's how we do it: a few days before Christmas, when kids are starting to get restless as they wait for Christmas morning, we wait until it's dark, make some hot chocolate to go, and then pick 2-3 streets off this list to visit.
It takes a few days to get through all of our favorites and has become something that we all look forward to. Plus, the kids are usually asleep before we get home. Score!
After years of doing this, we've become local experts on the best streets to visit in each area. We hope you'll love sharing this tradition with us this year!
Also, know that while we strive to be accurate, we won't know which streets are participating this year until we get there ourselves, so have a few streets in mind when you set out, in case a certain neighborhood decides not to participate this year.
Folsom Christmas Light Displays:
Folsom is one of our favorite places to go to see Christmas lights. Here are our favorite streets:
1. Ledgemont Court: This is our top pick for places in Folsom. The entire street participates, so it's around 11 houses that are completely decorated. People drive really slowly to take it all in, so plan to wait your turn or park and walk it to see it at your own pace. When you see it for yourself, you'll see that it's worth the wait.
2. 1027 Hildebrand Circle: This house has really festive Disney themed decor. 3. 104 Thorndike Way: This house has music, dancing arches, and a huge tree.
4. Historic Folsom: Downtown Folsom really does it up - with tons of lights down the street, plus the outdoor ice skating rink which is so much fun. This is definitely a place to visit when you have some time to enjoy it. You can book your tickets for the ice skating rink online, too.
El Dorado Hills Christmas Light Displays:
Unfortunately, many of the great decorations in EDH are behind gates. But, there are a couple of streets to enjoy:
1. Phillip Court: There are several houses that really get into the spirit of Christmas here, with lots of lights, characters and more.
2. Eagle Creek Court: One house at the end of the street goes all out, with tons of lights, lit up trees, and projected displays like Santa in the windows. So fun.
Cameron Park Christmas Light Displays:
We love our Cameron Park streets! Much less traffic than some of the streets in Fair Oaks and Citrus Heights, with plenty of fun for everyone.
1. Holly Hills Lane: This is our top pick in Cameron Park. Last year, restrictions meant people couldn't leave their cars, so they held out long poles with buckets of Christmas candy up to the car windows for kids to be able to enjoy. Their efforts were a really sweet gesture doing a very difficult time. 2. Spring Meadows Road: A bit more rural, so you may think you're going the wrong way, but you're not. Once you get there, it's well worth it.
3. Travois Circle: This one is absolutely INCREDIBLE. Unfortunately, last year, we drove there to find a street that was dark and undecorated. A simple display by one house had a Grinch display and a sign that said, "Sorry, the Grinch has stolen Christmas." Understandable, considering the amount of traffic this street gets, but also - really sad. Hopefully, they will start to decorate again, because it was our favorite street.
Fair Oaks Christmas Light Displays:
1. 5640 Kenneth Ave: Our top pick for Fair Oaks is this amazing house with over 85,000 lights, plus lots of characters.
2. 7780 Kanihan Court: Make sure you go up the walkway so that you can see everything. 3. 5010 Buena Vista Ave: Displays are timed to the music on FM 105.9. They have around 7,500 lights and the characters from Peanuts. 5. 7896 Lemon Street: You'll see lots of wood cutouts, such as Rudolph! 6. 7916 Sunset Ave
Citrus Heights Christmas Light Displays:
1. Orelle Creek Court & Allene Creek Court: This our top pick for Citrus Heights Christmas light displays! Every home on the entire street is decorated with thousands of multicolored lights, candy canes, scenes and more. This court draws a significant crowd of light-seekers each year, so be prepared. Give back by bringing a toy for their Toys for the Troops Kids collection.
2. Creekcrest Circle: Enjoy light displays, inflatables, and more, viewable on the half-circle loop off Oakbrook Drive, near the Mercy San Juan Medical Center. Arrive before 9pm, though, or you may find a dark street from residents who turn off their lights at night.
3. Celtic Cross Presbyterian Church: Near Creekcrest Circle is this church at 5839 Dewey Drive, which decorates with the largest manger scene you may find in the city.
4. Ansbrough Drive: One special home on the corner of Ansbrough and Winlock has one of the best single yard displays, which includes huge inflatable characters, motorized decor, tons of lights and a huge sign.
5. 700 Whyte Ave: Two homes on this street go all out, one with a huge collection of inflatable decorations, lights, fun characters like Star Wars and Minions. Another home nearby, 7304 Whyte Way, packs in a ton fo lights and characters, too.
6. Bitterbush Way: Not only does this home serve up some festive decorations, but they also host a free appearance from Santa! Check them out to find the sign that shares when the event will be and show up for snacks, pictures, and a visit with the ol' guy himself.
Looking for even more Christmas light displays? This blog has been sharing the best locations for holidays lights for over 20 years. Or, check out this post with an incredible list of streets (with little explanation, though) all around the Sacramento County area.
We'll be back soon with more of our favorite Christmas light displays around the area. If you know of one that we definitely should add to this list, please leave a comment and let us know!
Thanks for reading!